Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Book Love Affair

There is no Frigate like a Book To take us to Lands away, Nor any Coursers like a Page Of prancing Poetry...Emily Dickinson

Books! They are such an integral part of my existence that I cannot imagine life without them. I had a bit of eyestrain a few days ago, possibly due to too many hours at the computer. When I had to take a night off from reading, I felt lost!

If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Books! As “library people” many of us read books continuously for information, inspiration and pleasure. Bill Sowers, the intrepid editor of our internal newsletter The Grapevine, needed a filler for a recent issue. He asked SLK staff to share what they were reading. The response was overwhelming. The June Grapevine was one of the biggest issues ever as staff shared page after page of books and audio-books!

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends: they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers... Charles W. Eliot

Books! They are going to be the major part of libraries for a long time to come. I would say forever, but I learned an axiom years ago: “never say never or forever”. We will continue to purchase, organize and provide access to them through our libraries for the rest of our careers. Decades from now, kids will still read books, students will still study books and grandparents will share them with beloved grandchildren.

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.. ....Henry Ward Beecher

Books! We love them and we use them. I have some books that I intend to keep on my bedside table for eternity and others that I use to level up the bedside table! The books we love can be big books, little books, fat ones, skinny ones, leatherbound or paperback!

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket - Chinese Proverb

Books! If you feel as I do about books, help celebrate them by joining the Kansas Center for the Book ( http://skyways.lib.ks.us/orgs/kcfb/ ). And certainly you should make plans to celebrate books at the very first Kansas Book Festival. It will be held in Wichita on September 29 and 30.

No comments: